CASTLES OF BURGUNDY 2020-2021 BPA TOURNAMENT FORMAT (Updates 10/20/20) (Updates 11/09/20)
GM: Rob Flowers (email@example.com)
Assistant GMs: Greg Crowe and Jon Senn
Boardgame Players Association:
In order to play, you must have at least a PBEM membership at the time of tournament start. This costs $10 and can be accomplished at their website.
Approximate Calendar Period:
- Signups accepted by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) until 6 PM Eastern Time, Thursday, October 15. I need to get your EMAIL ADDRESS and USER NAME.
- Games will start one week later (October 22) pending BPA membership confirmation.
- Round limits will be flexible, although players will be penalized for slow play. I’m hoping rounds will go no longer than 8-10 weeks.
- First round will be 4 simultaneous games for all players, approximately October 22 to December 17.
- Second round will be 4 simultaneous games, approximately December 17 to February 11
- Third round will be 4 simultaneous games, approximately February 11 to April 8
NOTE: A minimum of 25 players are required for this to be run as a BPA sponsored tournament. Should we get less than the 25 required, I may offer to run it as an unofficial tournament.
We will be using Boite a Jeux.
Players must register on Boite a Jeux and let the GM know of their usernames. The site is also free of charge.
I recommend that you at least try starting a pickup game to get a feel for the mechanics of how the game interface works.
The site generally allows you to backup and restart your turn if you have not completely finished.
Players should try and check the site at least once daily, when not on vacation.
We will be using the “same random board” setup.
All games will be 4-player games.
We will use a Google Sheet for reporting game results. URLs will be posted here when the sheet is available.
First round will be 4 simultaneous games for all players. Players will score 10 points for 1st place, 7 points for second place, 4 points for third place, and 1 point for fourth place. All players will get also get a tiebreak factor of:
- Winners: your score divided by the second place player’s score, OR
- Everyone else: your score divided by the winning player’s score
Players will be ranked accordingly and 50% of players (or 50% minus 1) will move on to the second round. (We will use 20 players and then 8 players as the cutoffs for advanced rounds)
Second round will be 4 more simultaneous games, will 50% of players moving to third round.
The third round should be about 6-8 people (unless we get insane participation) and play four more games. Players will be ranked to award laurels to the top six finishers.
Tiebreakers for individual games:
- First tiebreaker will be per the BAJ website: the winning player will be with the one with the MOST empty estate spaces.
- Second tiebreaker will be random draw. (The GM/AGM will send out a email die roll to all involved players).
Unlike my other tournaments, Castles of Burgundy has a set number of player turns (100 for four players). If we get at least 2-3 turn a day, the round length should be about 8 weeks. I’m hoping they will go faster.
If players will be on vacation without internet access, they must let the GM know and post a message within all their current games. If you plan to take more than one week of vacation, please clear that with the GM before starting. (You can, in addition, set your status on the page to show you are on vacation, if you wish.)
If a player is NOT on vacation and fails to take a move within 48 hours, please alert the GM. If a player has more than two complaints for the game, that player may be penalized points (tournament points) after consultation with the Assistant GMs.
Players are expected to complete all games they are invited to.
If a player drops out DURING a game (or doesn’t take a move for at least 1 week with no vacation or other notice), the GM and assistant GMs will consult and decide whether to adjudicate the game or restart the game without the player.