EGIZIA 2019-2020 BPA TOURNAMENT FORMAT
GM: Rob Flowers (email@example.com)
Assistant GMs: TBD
Boardgame Players Association:
In order to play, you must have at least a PBEM membership at the time of tournament start. This costs $10 and can be accomplished at their website.
Approximate Calendar Period:
- Signups accepted by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) until 6 PM Eastern Time, Sunday November 3.
- Games will start one week later (November 10) pending BPA membership confirmation.
- Round limits will be flexible, although players will be penalized for slow play. I’m hoping rounds will go no longer than 8-10 weeks.
- First round will be 4 simultaneous games for all players, approximately November 10 to January 20.
- Second round will be 4 simultaneous games, approximately January 20 to March 30
- Third round will be 4 simultaneous games, approximately March 30 to June 8
NOTE: A minimum of 25 players are required for this to be run as a BPA sponsored tournament. Should we get less than the 25 required, I may offer to run it as an unofficial tournament.
We will be using Yucata.
Players must register on Yucata and let the GM know of their usernames. The site is also free of charge.
I recommend that you at least try starting a pickup game to get a feel for the mechanics of how the game interface works.
The site generally allows you to backup and restart your turn if you have not completely finished. The game does give you a warning before turning over Sphinx cards that you cannot take that action back. It does seem that you can take back a Grave build even if you see the tiles that turn over. (Which should not happen in a regular game.)
NOTE: you can only activate Nile cards when it is actually your turn, so sometimes you have to remember this (for example, using up one-time use cards before the end of the game).
Players should try and check the site at least once daily, when not on vacation.
We will be using the variants to remove the following cards:
- Nile Card: “Draw + 2 sphinx cards”
- Sphinx Card: “For each 10 points you scored take 1 point more”
First round will be 4 simultaneous games for all players. Players will score 10 points for 1st place, 7 points for second place, 4 points for third place, and 1 point for fourth place. All players will get also get a tiebreak factor of:
- Winners: your score divided by the second place player’s score, OR
- Everyone else: your score divided by the winning player’s score
Players will be ranked accordingly and 50% of players (or 50% minus 1) will move on to the second round.
Second round will be 4 more simultaneous games, will 50% of players moving to third round.
The third round should be about 6-8 people (unless we get insane participation) and play four more games. Players will be ranked to award laurels to the top six finishers.
As Egizia is a variable turn game, we won’t have strict round limits. I looked through some Yucata play logs and the number of player actions seemed to be between 140 and 150 total actions. If we get at least 2-3 actions a day, the round length should be about 8 to 10 weeks. I’m hoping they will go faster.
If players will be on vacation without internet access, they must let the GM know and post a message within all their current games. If you plan to take more than one week of vacation, please clear that with the GM before starting. (You can, in addition, set your status on the page to show you are on vacation, if you wish.)
If a player is NOT on vacation and fails to take a move within 48 hours, please alert the GM. If a player has more than two complaints for the game, that player may be penalized points (tournament points) after consultation with the Assistant GMs.
Players are expected to complete all games they are invited to.
If a player drops out DURING a game (or doesn’t take a move for at least 1 week with no vacation or other notice), the GM and assistant GMs will consult and decide whether to adjudicate the game or restart the game without the player.